The RLSS UK National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) is the most awarded lifeguard qualification in the UK and Ireland and is generally a requirement for a range of jobs at a leisure facility with a pool, including Pool Lifeguard, Supervisor or Centre Manager. The NPLQ will teach learners the skills they need to become a lifeguard and work at a leisure facility. The NPLQ is an internationally recognised qualification and is incorporated on the Qualifications Framework at Level 2.
The qualification covers Pool Rescue Techniques, Lifeguarding Theory, First Aid and CPR so is quite physically demanding with learners required to complete timed swims, lifting causalities from the water and diving to the deepest part of the pool. Please note that 100% attendance is required on the course.
To be awarded with your NPLQ Certificate you will need to pass an assessment which takes place at the end of the course. The assessment consists of three sections:
- Practical pool assessment
- Theory assessment (exam) for all 3 sections
- Practical First Aid and CPR assessment
If you do not successfully achieve one or more of the assessment sections, you can be re-assessed within 28 days of your first assessment, the re-assessments are organised by Swim UK and will take place in Brighton.
Once you achieve all sections of the assessment, you will receive an e-certificate from the awarding body, RLSS. The NPLQ is valid for 2 years and in order to renew the qualification, you must have completed at least 20 hours of training and renew before the expiry of your existing certificate.
- You will learn essential life skills such as First Aid and CPR
- The NPLQ is an excellent starting point for a career in the leisure industry
- Allows for the opportunity for career progression, as most leisure managers start off as Pool Lifeguards
- Allows to enter into a job with varied working hours
- Build your teamwork skills
- As the qualification is recognised worldwide, it allows for the chance to work and travel
- Is a great qualification for students to fund their studies
In order to become a Lifeguard, there are some pre-course requisites:
– Be 16 years of age or older
– Able to swim a minimum of 100 metres on your back and front continuously
– Able to swim 50 metres in 60 seconds
– Able to dive to a depth of 3 metres
– Able to swim efficient breaststroke and have some knowledge of sidestroke
Functional Skills UK have many different Government funding schemes to offer our learners.
To check if you are eligible to get this course funded, please fill out the contact form below: